Adult Learning Resources
- Access practice tests, skill-building exercises, interactive tutorials, and e-books
- Prepare for entrance, occupation, citizenship, and college admission exams
- Take GED® Test Tutorials that are officially certified by the GED Testing Service®
- Recursos para hispanohabliantes - herramientes de aprendizaje, carrera, y ciudadanía en español
- Connect with a live tutor in subjects such as GED®/HiSET® prep, English, and Math
- Submit a resume or paper for review
- Take a practice quiz
- Learn anything, anytime, anywhere
- Earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- Enjoy over 500 courses in arts and crafts, career training, health and medicine, history, homeschooling, law, office skills, real estate, and more
- Explore a new language or brush up on your knowledge
- Learn grammar, pronunciation, and cultural nuances through immersive language courses
- Take over 70 language courses in Spanish, Korean, Swahili, French, Arabic, Chinese, Igbo, Tagalog, English for Speakers of Other Languages, and more
- Learn the skills you need to achieve your personal and professional goals
- Enjoy high-quality video courses taught by industry experts
- Take classes in 3-D and animation, audio and music, business, CAD, design, IT, marketing, video, web development, and more
Languages and Learning offers a range of programs and classes for adult learners, but there are many additional resources throughout Philadelphia.
Office of Children and Families
The Office of Children and Families (OCF) aligns the City of Philadelphia's policies, resources, and services for children and families. Their priorities are safe children, strong families, and supported schools and communities.
ACHIEVEability has been breaking the cycle of poverty by helping low-income, single parent and homeless families to achieve self-sufficiency. ACHIEVEability encourages their parents to work at least 30 hours per week and to complete at least 5 classes per year toward a post-secondary degree or its equivalent.
Beyond Literacy provides opportunities for adults and families by harnessing the power of literacy through free, high-quality education. Literacy is the ability to read and write and studies show that literacy can lift people out of poverty. Beyond Literacy helps learners improve their reading, writing, math, English language, digital literacy, and workplace skills.
Community College of Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia offers ELL classes and GED/HiSET Prep.
Community PEDAL@GSE Classes
University of Pennsylvania's Graduate School of Education provides free Practical English for Daily Living classes to adults at the beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels, taught by graduate students pursuing their degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). https://pedal.gse.upenn.edu/community
The Critical Path Learning Center
An expansion of the AIDS Library and the Critical Path Project, The Critical Path Learning Center at Philadelphia FIGHT is an educational commons and stigma-free space devoted to the intersection of health and literacy for the digital age. They nurture life-long learning through meaningful, relevant, non-judgmental education for all people in our community, including people living with HIV, hepatitis C, and other chronic health conditions. The Critical Path Learning Center's core programs include a health resources library, technology access and training, adult education, employment resources, and hospitality services.
District 1199C Training and Upgrading Fund
District 1199C Training and Upgrading Fund provides access to career pathways in healthcare and human services for incumbent workers and job seekers through education, training and work-based learning. Free ELL / English Literacy, Citizenship and Civics Classes. Offers free English and Work Training Classes.
The Garces Foundation
The Garces Foundation is committed to ensuring that Philadelphia's underserved immigrant community has access to healthcare and educational services. Founded in 2012, the organization runs programs which aim to address specific needs within the community and are structured to change as the needs of the immigrant community change. New degree program for Latinos.
IndoChinese American Council
The IndoChinese American Council's Family Literacy Program incorporates ELL instruction, early childhood education, parenting, and interactive learning activities. This four-component model meets the literacy needs of the whole family, provides assistance to families in accessing school and community resources, helps parents work with their children's school staff to ensure the academic success of their children, and helps families acclimate to American cultural norms while maintaining their own cultural values and practices.
JEVS Human Services
JEVS focuses on individuals with physical, developmental, and emotional challenges as well as those facing adverse socio-economic conditions including unemployment and underemployment. JEVS has a variety of services for job seekers of all ages. JEVS also offer English Language Learning classes and job training.
It's Never Too Late to Read
It's Never Too Late to Read offers reading programs to the low-literate and non-literate adults of Philadelphia. Uses ABeCeDarian Reading Program by Michael Bend, Ph.D. Located at Kingsessing Library.
Lutheran Settlement House
Lutheran Settlement House offers ABE, ELL and Digital Literacy training and tutoring services.
Out of School Youth Resources
Out of School Youth Resources provided by CAP4Kids, lists organizations' alternative options for youth ages 16 years and older to complete their high-school equivalency degrees.
The Welcoming Center
The Welcoming Center works with partner organizations to help students enroll in English as a Second Language (ESL), Adult Basic Education (ABE), and high school equivalency prep (GED®, HiSET®) classes. These classes are offered at partner organizations throughout the city and are coordinated by the City of Philadelphia's Office of Adult Education. Students can find a class in their neighborhood through the myPLACE system.
Showing 1 to 6 of 174