The Free Library offers wireless networking to visitors at all locations during its operating hours FREE of charge. This service connects your laptop or other wireless-enabled device to the Internet through the Library's network. To access the Internet, simply launch your web browser, enter your Library card number and PIN and begin surfing.
How to Connect to the Library's Wireless Network
If you want to access the wireless network you will need:
How do I connect to the wireless network?
Please check the following settings:
Frequently Asked Questions
Limitations and Disclaimers
- Library staff is not able to provide technical assistance and no guarantee can be provided that you will be able to make a wireless connection.
- The Library's wireless network is not secure. Information sent from or to your laptop can be captured by anyone else with a wireless device and the appropriate software, within three hundred feet.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment or for laptop configurations, security, or data files resulting from connection to the Library's wireless network.
- The staff cannot control the availability of sites you would like to visit. Sites frequently change addresses or close down, and some sites may limit access to affiliated or authorized users.
- The Free Library of Philadelphia provides computers with filtering software to limit children's exposure to some websites. Internet traffic on the wireless network is also filtered. The software blocks specific sites that could be offensive to some users. Filtering software may not block all material users might find offensive. Parents may wish to supervise their children's Internet sessions. Filtering software may also inadvertently block material that is inoffensive. If you believe you are being unjustly blocked from a site, please notify a staff member.
- The Free Library of Philadelphia reserves the right to prohibit an individual from accessing the wireless network if that individual is violating any of the policies or guidelines of the Free Library of Philadelphia. A warning will be issued if such a violation occurs. If after a warning, an individual is again found to be violating the Library's policies or guidelines, he or she will be banned from accessing the wireless network at the Free Library.