As summer heats up, stay cool with this fruit soda recipe from Get HYPE! Philly!
Under the guidance of Chef Shawn Murray, teens at our Kensington Library used a blender to learn how to puree ingredients. Using only fruit and sparkling water, the drink is a simple and sweet summertime treat. Plus, they learned a key lesson about seasonality: if you use fresh, in-season fruit, then you can jam-pack a dish with flavor without needing any artificial sweeteners.
Delicious and nutritious? Yes, please!
Watermelon and Kiwi Fruit Sparkling Water (serves 4)
- 4 cups watermelon, cleaned and diced
- 2 kiwi fruit
- 1 quart sparkling water
- 1 can lemon water (optional)
- Peel the watermelon; remove seeds, and cut into small pieces.
- Peel the kiwi fruit and combine with the watermelon in blender.
- Pour in sparkling water and blend.
- Pour fruit water mixture over ice; if desired, top with lemon water.
Teens, Join Us!
Get HYPE Philly!'s free culinary literacy programs happen at varying times on Tuesdays and Thursdays at several Free Library locations. We encourage anyone ages 12 to 18-years-old to come check it out! Find out more by liking Get HYPE Philly! on Facebook or following us on Twitter and Instagram.
Get HYPE Philly! is made possible with generous support from GSK.