In what we hope will be an ongoing series of blog posts highlighting our awesome staff throughout the Free Library of Philadelphia, today we take some time to speak with Abbe Klebanoff, Branch Manager of Fumo Family Library. Being the selfless person she is, she couldn't help but gush about and give props to her equally awesome coworkers and staff!
What is your role with the Free Library of Philadelphia?
I am the Branch Manager at Fumo Family Library.
What do you wish more people knew about the library where you work?
First and foremost, I want everyone to know about our ultra-talented and dedicated team. Our common goal is to create comfortable, happy, and informed customers. We constantly strive to bring innovative and diverse programming to folks of all ages. We could not offer the variety we do without an engaged and caring staff!
- At the top of the list is our awesome guard, Walter, who keeps our library safe and clean and is on a first name basis with our regulars, especially the kids. We also love our Facilities Guard, Mia.
- Joseph, a Library Assistant (LA), creates spooky creatures during our wildly popular annual Haunted House. He is also the creator of the, "Cuppets - puppets made by cups," featured in many of our library videos.
- Modesta, our LA 2, is kind to all and is a great organizer.
- Sunita, a part-time LA, earned her library degree from Drexel. While waiting to be placed as a librarian in her own branch, she assists visitors each day and plays an integral part in bringing in new artists and musicians to our library. She even sang traditional South Indian music during one of our programs, and she leads the tween book club.
- Brian, our LA 1, has the kindest heart of anyone I know and has a smile and a silly joke for everyone. He also runs our ever-growing after school Chess Club.
- Our seasonal LA, Becca, is a poet, actor, and a whiz at helping folks on the computer. We will miss her passion come July!
- Our newest part-time LA, Rachael, is also a talented artist and has great enthusiasm for the library.
- Our after school team is helmed by the ever patient Dominique, who is as techie as she is artistic. And everyone loves our smart as a whip Teen Leaders, Klejdi, and Giovanna.
- Last, but certainty not least, is our really cool Children’s Librarian, Mr. John. His storytimes and Minecraft events are legendary.
What is the most satisfying aspect of your job?
Working to build and strengthen the bonds of the community. I enjoy nearly everyone who visits our library.
What are you currently reading/watching?
I’m listening to An American Marriage by Tayari Jones on Hoopla and I just picked up my hold for Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. I am also binging on Netflix’s new iteration of Lost in Space.
Where’s your favorite place to read in Philly?
My favorite place to read is at Race Street Pier.
Do you have a favorite librarian or other staff member at your neighborhood library you think we should shine a spotlight on? Let us know in the comments!