As the days get warmer in our area, we hope you keep the Free Library in mind as a great place to cool off!
Here are a few ways to beat the heat with us (and our friends around the City of Philadelphia!).
- Borrow a birding backpack from select Free Library locations, and head into the shade of some of the best hiking trails in our area! Each backpack contains a pair of binoculars, local park maps and trail guides, a field guide to identifying local birds, and some information about BirdPhilly, one of our partners. BirdPhilly is an organization that leads FREE expertly-guided bird walks all over Philadelphia. You could borrow a backpack and go birding on your own, or sign up for an organized bird walk. Our friends at the Andorra Library partner with the Wissahickon Environmental Center to offer bird walks, too!
- Use Free Library resources to plan your next adventure, or simply take a mental vacation with a book or DVD from our catalog!
- Head out to a Philadelphia Department of Parks and Recreation sprayground or water feature! With over 90 sites across the city, these are great ways for everyone to enjoy water in the city safely! Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, spraygrounds are turned on seven days a week, with exceptions for inclement weather.
- Find music for your summer playlist in the Free Library catalog! These albums are by U.S. artists that were either released during the summer or have some great songs to listen to as you enjoy the warmth of the long summer days. These selections will pair great with your summer plans!
- Take part in another Free Library Summer of Wonder, and find virtual and in-person activities that encourage reading and help prevent out-of-school learning loss for students! In 2022, Summer of Wonder will take place online June 1 through August 31, while in-person offerings begin June 6 and will extend through August 12 at neighborhood libraries. Children can access Summer of Wonder activity passports at their local library to track progress and set reading goals, while adults and teens can enter raffles by reading, attending programs, and more!
- Sprinkles or jimmies? Either way, improve your home ice cream making skills, learn some ice cream history, and enjoy a tasty recipe from the Free Library Culinary Literacy Center.
And don't forget to check our event calendar for new programs and events added daily in your neighborhood! From yoga and storytime to board game afternoons and cooking classes, we've got you covered with fun indoor activities. If you're feeling like heading outside, put on your sun block and join us for gardening classes, walking groups, and so much more!
And as always, designated Free Library locations serve as cooling centers when the City declares a heat health emergengy. Information is posted here on our blog and on social media as soon as it becomes available.
Stay cool, Philly!