St. Clement's Episcopal ChurchHistorical Images of Philadelphia Charles Higgins Negatives
Media Type: Photographic Negatives
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Image taken by Philadelphia Evening Bulletin photographer Charles T. Higgins. Notes on the negative's envelope read: "St. Clement's Episcopal Church, June 1928"
Rather than demolish historic St. Clement's Episcopal Church, to accommodate the widening of 20th Street (as the Benjamin Franklin Parkway development project demanded), the church officials agreed to have St. Clement's moved the necessary 40 feet to the west. This June 1928 photograph shows a view of the south side of the church, on Appletree Street, before the move. After a great deal of planning and preparation, the amazing feat of engineering was accomplished in July 1929, and the 19th century church was successfully moved 40 feet back from 20th Street.
Creation Year: 1928
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.173094
Creator Name: Higgins, Charles - Photographer