Item No: pdcl00039
Title: 2nd Street, north of Callowhill
Additional Title: West side of 2nd Street, above Callowhill
Historic Street Address:
2nd & Callowhill Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"In the seventeenth century, 2nd Street was only one block from the waterfront, and Callowhill Street was outside the city limits on the north; 2nd Street was also largely residential. By the 1840s, however, as details in this photograph indicate, much business activity was concentrated here. Before the hotel a crowd of wagons suggests a gathering place for the Jersey farmers, and small shops of various kinds occupy the ground floors of buildings that were once residences."--OPEP, p. 39.
Very weathered Daguerreotype showing a row of commercial buildings. Covered wagons parked and street lamp on sidewalk. One vertical sign: "Hotel"; other signs: "Stoddart", "Eagle Hotel", "William [...] Hotel".
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.