Item No: pdcl00056
Title: Hurst Mansion, 5th and South Streets
Additional Title: Hurst Mansion
Historic Street Address:
Fifth and South Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"The Hurst Mansion was built about the time of the Revolution by an English gentleman, one Baron Hurst, who owned much property in the Society Hill area. The tract extending west from the mansion to about 10th Street and lying between South and Lombard Streets was in 1787 a burial ground for persons not affiliated with any church. By 1859, when this photo was made, the property had passed from the hands of the Hursts. The gravestones collected here were removed from the burial ground to make way for housing. The mansion was later a tavern."--OPEP, p. 59.
The building with trees, gravestones, and carriages in front. Surrounded by a fence, in front of which is a collection of chairs. A man is sitting on one of the chairs.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.