Item No: pdcl00112
Title: St. Clement's Church, 20th and Appletree Streets
Additional Title: Street Clement's Church
Historic Street Address:
Twentieth and Appletree Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"Long before the Parkway was constructed and institutions of art, education and scientific research were built in this area, 20th Street north of Arch had the appearance of a quiet residential neighborhood. The imposing spire of St. Clement's Church, built in
1854, dominates the scene for several blocks. The street now has been widened, residences replaced by large buildings, and St. Clement's spire removed because of structural deteriorations."--OPEP, p. 115.
The Church, with large spire; fence around yard. Newly planted trees with wooden supports line the sidewalks on either side; street lamp on sidewalk; streetcar tracks on road; and homes
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.