Item No: pdcl00117
Title: Philadelphia Bank, Chestnut Street at 4th
Additional Title: Chestnut Street between 4th and 5th Streets, south side (view to the west from 4th Street)
Historic Street Address:
Fourth and Chestnut Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"The neoclassical structure shown here was designed in 1836 by William Strickland, who also designed the Second Bank of the United States next to it. The second floor was reserved for banking while the street level was given over to a variety of unrelated enterprises, among them the offices of Wells Fargo and Company in the corner space at 4th Street. The view is toward the west.--OPEP, p. 123.
Neoclassical building on a street corner. In front is a brick paved street with construction ongoing. At the street level of the building are stores. A wheelbarrow is on the sidewalk and lumber is on a cart on the street. Signs: "Wells Fargo & Co. ... Express" ; "Philadelphia Bank."
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.