Item No: pdcl00149
Title: Locust Street, west from 16th
Additional Title: Saint Mark's, Locust Street
Historic Street Address:
Sixteenth and Locust Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"St. Mark's Church designed by architect John Notman. It was built in 1848. The houses of Harrison Row, left, which stood adjacent to Joseph Harrison's mansion on 18th Street, were one of the earliest experiments in community housing in Philadelphia. They were built in 1856. The trees of Rittenhouse Square can be seen in the distance at the extreme left."--OPEP, p. 152.
Gothic style St. Mark's Church with spire; houses and residence building in background.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.