Item No: pdcl00183
Title: Chestnut Street Bridge
Additional Title: Chestnut Street Bridge, circa 1868
Print and Picture Collection
"The Chestnut Street Bridge across the Schuylkill River was opened in June 1866, affording greater access to the west bank of the river, where much heavy industry was then located. Through the arch of the bridge, left, can be seen a lumber yard on the site now occupied by the United States Post Office at 30th Street. The river was busy with coal barges, canal boats and other craft as the small boats tied to the dock, right, indicate."--OPEP, p. 191.
The bridge. On the right are several boats moored to a dock.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.