Item No: pdcf00001
Title: 1217-1221 Chestnut Street Branch
Additional Title: 1217-1221 Chestnut Street Branch, in the rented former Concert Hall, ca. 1895
Historic Street Address:
1217-1221 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1895, the Free Library moved from its first location in City Hall to this rented building at 1217-1221 Chestnut Street, formerly the old Concert Hall. At the time this photograph was taken, the library occupied the entire 2nd floor: Main reading room, Periodical and Reference Dept. 3rd floor front: Pepper Hall (Art Dept.), Trustee's room, and toilet. 3rd floor rear: open gallery over back of main room, Librarian and Business offices. Loft: bindery, lunch room, and storage.
By 1910, the rent was $22,000 per year. The quarters were condemned as unsafe to carry the necessary load, and the Free Library then moved to 13th & Locust Street.