Item No: pdcf00002
Title: 1217-1221 Chesnut Street Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the 1217-1221 Chestnut Street Branch, ca. 1900
Historic Street Address:
1217-1221 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1895, the library moved from its first location in City Hall to this rented building, formerly the old Concert Hall, and occupied the upper floors. At a later time, when this photograph was taken, the library had been expanded to also occupy the left hand half of the first floor, its cellar, and a low first-floor mezzanine. Cellar: Public Documents Dept.; 1st floor: Children's Dept. and part of the Catalogue Dept.; 1st Mezzanine: Blind Dept. and part of the Catalogue Dept.
By 1910, the rent was $22,000 per year. The quarters were condemned as unsafe to carry the necessary load, and the Free Library then moved to 13th & Locust Street.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer