Item No: pdcf00625
Title: 1217-1221 Chestnut Street Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the 1217-1221 Chestnut Street Branch, ca. 1895
Historic Street Address:
1217-1221 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1895, the library moved from two rooms in the City Hall building, to this rented building at 1217-1221 Chestnut Street, formerly the old Concert Hall. This is an interior view of the Reference and Magazine Room, 2nd floor.
This location served as the main library until 1910, when it was condemned as unsafe to carry the necessary load, and the main branch of the Free Library then moved to 13th & Locust Street, staying in the Center City area.