Item No: pdcf00023
Title: Bushrod Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Bushrod Branch, ca. 1950
Historic Street Address:
6304 Castor Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
This is a ca. 1950 image of the Bushrod Branch, which opened on October 25, 1950. It was the first newly-constructed branch in the Free Library system since the completion of the Central Library in 1927. It was named for Philadelphia eye surgeon and humanitarian Dr. Bushrod Washington James, whose will established the Bushrod Library near Logan Square in 1903, the endowment of which was transferred to the Free Library in 1948.
The branch serves the communities of Oxford Circle, Castor Gardens, Upper Northwood, Summerdale, and the Lower Northeast.