Item No: pdcf00054
Title: City Hall Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of Room 163, one of the three rooms of the City Hall Branch, ca. 1894
Historic Street Address:
Broad & Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The first official location of the Free Library consisted of three rooms in the Philadelphia City Hall building at Broad & Market Streets. This ca. 1894 interior view is of Room 163, which served as the Municipal Reference Department. The City Hall location was used from March 1894 until February 1895.
In 1895, the main library moved to a rented location at 1217-1221 Chestnut Street; then in 1910, it moved again to 13th & Locust Streets, and finally to the Parkway Central Library at 1901 Vine Street in 1927.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer