Item No: pdcf00055
Title: City Hall Branch
Additional Title: Borrower's card for the City Hall Branch, issued in 1894
Historic Street Address:
Broad & Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The first official location of the Free Library consisted of three rooms in the Philadelphia City Hall building at Broad & Market Streets. This location was used from March 1894 until February 1895. This image is a photo-reproduction of a Free Library borrower's card, issued in 1894.
In 1895, the main library moved to a rented location at 1217-1221 Chestnut Street; then in 1910, it moved again to 13th & Locust Streets, and finally to the Parkway Central Library at 1901 Vine Street in 1927.