Item No: pdcf00114
Title: Frankford Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the first Frankford Branch, ca. 1900
Historic Street Address:
1858 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the original Frankford Free Library (founded in 1823) became the Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. It was located in the Wright's Industrial and Beneficial Institute Building, at 1858 Frankford Avenue. This is a ca. 1900 interior photograph of the branch, in its adapted space.
In 1906, the Frankford Branch was relocated to a new building, becoming the second Carnegie-funded Free Library branch. In 1959, the neo-classic building was replaced with a modern structure of steel and glass at the same location.
While this building was located in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia, the current location of the Frankford Branch serves the communities of Frankford, Northwood, Bridesburg, and part of Juniata Park.