Item No: pdcf00117
Title: Frankford Branch
Additional Title: Buses and Frankford EL tracks at Frankford Branch's corner, ca. 1940s
Historic Street Address:
4634 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the original Frankford Free Library (founded in 1823) became the Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. It was located in the Wright's Industrial and Beneficial Institute Building, at 1858 Frankford Avenue.
In 1906, the Frankford Branch was relocated to a new building at the corner of Frankford Avenue and Overington Street, becoming the second Carnegie-funded Free Library branch. This exterior view, probably taken in the 1940s, shows buses along the Overington Street side of the library, and the Frankford EL tracks on Frankford Avenue, which run overhead along the front of the branch.
In 1959, the neo-classic building was replaced with a modern structure of steel and glass at the same location. Located near the Margaret-Orthodox Station of the Frankford EL, the Frankford Branch serves the communities of Frankford, Northwood, Bridesburg, and part of Juniata Park.