Advanced
Frankford Branch

Item Info

Item No: pdcf00119
Title: Frankford Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the young adult area of the Frankford Branch, ca. 1950s
Historic Street Address: 4634 Frankford Avenue
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

In 1900, the original Frankford Free Library (founded in 1823) became the Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. It was located in the Wright's Industrial and Beneficial Institute Building, at 1858 Frankford Avenue.

In 1906, the Frankford Branch was relocated to a new building at the corner of Frankford Avenue and Overington Street, becoming the second Carnegie-funded Free Library branch. This interior view, probably taken in the 1950s, is of the Leisure Lounge for Young Adults.

In 1959, the neo-classic building was replaced with a modern structure of steel and glass at the same location.  Located near the Margaret-Orthodox Station of the Frankford EL, the Frankford Branch serves the communities of Frankford, Northwood, Bridesburg, and part of Juniata Park.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:40.015754
Geocode Longitude:-75.085034