Item No: pdcf00121
Title: Frankford Branch
Additional Title: Architect's rendering of the remodeling of the Frankford Branch, ca. 1957
Historic Street Address:
4634 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the original Frankford Free Library (founded in 1823) became the Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia, located at 1858 Frankford Avenue. In 1906, the Frankford Branch was relocated to a new Carnegie-funded building at 4634 Frankford Avenue (the corner of Frankford Avenue and Overington Street).
In 1959, the neo-classic building was replaced with a modern structure of steel and glass at the same location. This is a photograph of the rendering by architect Louis E. McAllister, for that remodeling project.
Located near the Margaret-Orthodox Station of the Frankford EL, the Frankford Branch serves the communities of Frankford, Northwood, Bridesburg, and part of Juniata Park.