Item No: pdcf00122
Title: Frankford Branch
Additional Title: Exterior corner view of remodeled Frankford Branch, ca. 1960
Historic Street Address:
4634 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the original Frankford Free Library (founded in 1823) became the Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia, located at 1858 Frankford Avenue. In 1906, the Frankford Branch was relocated to a new Carnegie-funded building at 4634 Frankford Avenue (the corner of Frankford Avenue and Overington Street).
In 1959, the neo-classic building was replaced with a modern structure of steel and glass at the same location. This is a ca. 1960 exterior close-up of the corner view of the remodeled building.
Located near the Margaret-Orthodox Station of the Frankford EL, the Frankford Branch serves the communities of Frankford, Northwood, Bridesburg, and part of Juniata Park.