Frankford BranchHistorical Images of Philadelphia Free Library Departments and Branches
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
In 1900, the original Frankford Free Library (founded in 1823) became the Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia, located at 1858 Frankford Avenue. In 1906, the Frankford Branch was relocated to a new Carnegie-funded building at 4634 Frankford Avenue (the corner of Frankford Avenue and Overington Street).
In 1959, the neo-classic building was replaced with a modern structure of steel and glass at the same location. This interior 1966 view is of the adult lounge area, which is opposite the circulation desk, on the street level. Seen in the background is the upper level.
Located near the Margaret-Orthodox Station of the Frankford EL, the Frankford Branch serves the communities of Frankford, Northwood, Bridesburg, and part of Juniata Park.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.085034
Creator Name: Lawrence S. Williams, Inc. - Photographer