Advanced
Frankford Branch

Item Info

Item No: pdcf00126
Title: Frankford Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of upper level of remodeled Frankford Branch, ca. 1960
Historic Street Address: 4634 Frankford Avenue
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

In 1900, the original Frankford Free Library (founded in 1823) became the Frankford Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia, located at 1858 Frankford Avenue. In 1906, the Frankford Branch was relocated to a new Carnegie-funded building at 4634 Frankford Avenue (the corner of Frankford Avenue and Overington Street).

In 1959, the neo-classic building was replaced with a modern structure of steel and glass at the same location. This ca. 1960 interior view is of the upper level stacks of the remodeled Frankford Branch. 

Located near the Margaret-Orthodox Station of the Frankford EL, the Frankford Branch serves the communities of Frankford, Northwood, Bridesburg, and part of Juniata Park.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:40.015754
Geocode Longitude:-75.085034