Item No: pdcf00129
Title: George Institute Branch
Additional Title: Exterior corner view of the George Institute Branch, ca. 1940
Historic Street Address:
1461 N. 52nd Street
Print and Picture Collection
The George Institute was a neighborhood library, located at the corner of 52nd Street and Bible Way (just south of Lancaster Avenue). It was chartered in 1872 by the George family, a prominent Philadelphia Quaker family of Welsh origin. Dissolved in 1927, the library’s assets were awarded to the Free Library of Philadelphia, and it was reopened on May 1, 1928, as the George Institute Branch.
This exterior view of the building shows a flatiron design of brick construction. The photograph was taken by the Works Project Administration, in 1940 or 1941.
The building is no longer an active library branch today, but it served the West Philadelphia and Overbrook communities until it closed on June 2, 2001.
United States. Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania - Photographer