Item No: pdcf00189
Title: Haddington Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Haddington Branch, ca. 1915
Historic Street Address:
446 North 65th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Haddington Branch of the Free Library opened on December 3, 1915. Albert Kelsey, an architect who chaired the committee to develop the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, designed the building. The Haddington Branch was the 18th library building erected using funds from Andrew Carnegie.
The first floor consists of a main room and a children's room. The original basement--not excavated until 1919--had a lecture hall, classroom, staff room, kitchen, boiler room, and coal bin. The total cost, after the basement was completed, was $64,600.
Located at the top of a hill, at 65th Street & Girard Avenue, the library serves the communities of Haddington-Carroll Park and Overbrook-Morris Park.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer