Item No: pdcf00202
Title: Holmesburg/Thomas Holme Branch
Additional Title: Children's room in the Thomas Holme Branch, ca. 1910s
Historic Street Address:
7810 Frankford Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Holmesburg Reading Room and Library Association was a subscription library founded in 1867. An agreement between the Lower Dublin Academy trustees and the Free Library of Philadelphia established the Thomas Holme Branch in 1900, housed in the Frankford Athenaeum for the next seven years. In 1906, the academy trustees donated land, and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie donated funds for a new building.
Located at Frankford & Hartel Avenues, it opened June 26, 1907, making it the sixth Carnegie-funded branch. This early photograph shows young library patrons in the Children's Room.
Eventually, the name reverted to the original, and is once again the Holmesburg Branch. It serves the Holmesburg and Mayfair communities.