Item No: pdcf00240
Title: Lawncrest Branch
Additional Title: Groundbreaking for the Lawncrest Branch, 1960
Historic Street Address:
6098 Rising Sun Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
An unflinching citizens’ campaign was launched in 1957, to build a branch library for the Lawndale and Crescentville sections of northeast Philadelphia, as library service in these communities was limited to weekly visits by the bookmobile. The name for this branch reflected the needs of both neighborhoods for full-time library service.
With the help of the area’s city councilman John M. McDevitt, money was finally allocated for the branch. The site chosen for the branch was city-owned land adjacent to the Lawncrest Recreation Center. This is a photograph of the groundbreaking ceremony on August 18, 1960; the library opened on September 18, 1961.
This branch serves the communities of Lawndale, Crescentville, Lawncrest, and Cedar Grove.
City Hall (Philadelphia, Pa.). Photographic Unit. - Photographer