Item No: pdcf00244
Title: Lawncrest Branch
Additional Title: Close-up of the indoor patio pond, ca. 1960s
Historic Street Address:
6098 Rising Sun Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
An unflinching citizens’ campaign was launched in 1957, to build a branch library for the Lawndale and Crescentville sections of northeast Philadelphia, as library service in these communities was limited to weekly visits by the bookmobile. The name for this branch reflected the needs of both neighborhoods for full-time library service.
With the added help of the neighborhoods’ city councilman, John M. McDevitt, the new branch was created, and opened on September 18, 1961. This close-up of a corner of the indoor patio lounge shows a landscaped pond, complete with plants, a fountain, and sculptures (including "Sea Lions" by sculptor Henry Mitchell).
This branch serves the communities of Lawndale, Crescentville, Lawncrest, and Cedar Grove.
Lawrence S. Williams, Inc. - Photographer