Item No: pdcf00248
Title: Lillian Marrero/Lehigh Avenue Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Lehigh Avenue Branch, ca. 1906
Historic Street Address:
601 W. Lehigh Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Lehigh Avenue Branch was the third Free Library branch that was built with funds from Andrew Carnegie. Built on land donated by the city, it opened on November 20, 1906. This exterior view was taken around the time of its opening. The building was designed by architects G. W. and W. D. Hewitt, and was completed at a cost of $111,290. It is a one-story structure, with a raised basement. At the time, this white limestone and terra cotta Beaux Arts-style building was the largest library in Pennsylvania.
The branch was saved from a planned relocation in the mid-1960s, and was instead rehabilitated in 1967. In 2005, the branch was renamed the Lillian Marrero Branch, in memory of Lillian E. Marrero-Rios, a librarian at this branch for many years. She ran a food bank in the library’s basement, which is still in operation.
The branch serves the communities of Central North Philadelphia, Fairhill, St. Edwards/Hartranft, and West Kensington.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer