Item No: pdcf00251
Title: Lillian Marrero/Lehigh Avenue Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the children's room in the Lehigh Avenue Branch, ca. 1936
Historic Street Address:
601 W. Lehigh Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Lehigh Avenue Branch, the third Free Library branch that was built with funds from Andrew Carnegie, opened on November 20, 1906. This 1936 interior view of all but empty shelves in the children's room was a typical example of the lack of funds for many of the branch libraries at that time.
The branch was saved from a planned relocation in the mid-1960s, and was instead rehabilitated in 1967. In 2005, the branch was renamed the Lillian Marrero Branch, in memory of Lillian E. Marrero-Rios, a librarian at this branch for many years. She ran a food bank in the library’s basement, which is still in operation.
The branch serves the communities of Central North Philadelphia, Fairhill, St. Edwards/Hartranft, and West Kensington.