Item No: pdcf00324
Title: Mercantile Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Mercantile Branch, ca. 1944
Historic Street Address:
10 South 10th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Mercantile Library, originally a subscription library founded in 1820, was relocated in 1869 to this much larger building at 10 S. 10th Street, a former market and railroad depot. The Mercantile Library became the Mercantile Branch of the Free Library in 1944, seen in this ca. 1944 exterior view. Earlier photographs (see images #pdcf00085 and #pdcf00086) show the building's previous splendor, before being sub-divided to share the space with other businesses.
In 1953, the branch moved to a new building around the corner at 1021 Chestnut Street, after this building was demolished.
The Mercantile Branch served the Center City population, until it permanently closed in 1989.