Item No: pdcf00105
Title: Mercantile Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Mercantile Branch, December 1944
Historic Street Address:
10 S. 10th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Mercantile Library, originally a subscription library founded in 1820, was relocated in 1869 to this much larger building at 10 S. 10th Street, a former market and railroad depot. The Mercantile Library became the Mercantile Branch of the Free Library on December 28, 1944. This interior view of the upper level was taken shortly before the official opening. In 1953, the branch moved to a new building around the corner at 1021 Chestnut Street, after this building was demolished.
The Mercantile Branch served the Center City population, until it permanently closed in 1989.