Item No: pdcf00329
Title: Mercantile Branch
Additional Title: Architectural rendering for the new Mercantile Branch, ca. 1952
Historic Street Address:
1021 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
This is a copy of an architectural rendering for the new Mercantile Branch building, designed by Sydney Errington Martin, and due to open in 1953. It would replace the cavernous, 1869-vintage Mercantile Library building at 10 S. 10th Street, which was the branch's home since 1944. The new design favored a trend in libraries towards bright, modern structures.
The Mercantile Branch served the Center City population, until it closed in 1989.
Martin, Sydney Errington, 1883-1970 - Architect
Oakes, Earle, 1923-2011 - Artist