Item No: pdcf00330
Title: Mercantile Branch
Additional Title: Construction site for the new Mercantile Branch building, 1952
Historic Street Address:
1021 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
This is a 1952 Evening Bulletin photograph of the construction site for the new Mercantile Branch building, due to open in 1953. It would replace the cavernous, 1869-vintage Mercantile Library building across the street (seen partially demolished in the upper left of the photograph), which was the branch's home since 1944.
The Mercantile Branch served the Center City population, until it closed in 1989.
Montone, Frank - Photographer
Evening bulletin (Philadelphia, Pa.) - Photographer