Item No: pdcf00333
Title: Mercantile Branch
Additional Title: Librarian at the Mercantile Branch, 1978
Historic Street Address:
1021 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Mercantile Branch, opened on December 9, 1953, replaced the cavernous, 1869-vintage Mercantile Library building at 10 S. 10th Street. The new building represented a growing trend in libraries towards bright, modern designs.
This 1978 photograph shows a reference librarian at the Mercantile Branch utilizing the Dialog Database, one of the predecessors of the World Wide Web, still new in 1978.
The Mercantile Branch served the Center City population, until it closed in 1989.