Item No: pdcf00334
Title: Mercantile Branch
Additional Title: Reference area of the Mercantile Branch, 1978
Historic Street Address:
1021 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Mercantile Branch, opened on December 9, 1953, replaced the cavernous, 1869-vintage Mercantile Library building at 10 S. 10th Street. The new building represented a growing trend in libraries towards bright, modern designs.
This 1978 photograph shows the reference area on the lower level; note the copier machine (behind the information desk) for public use, a relatively new library service in 1978.
The Mercantile Branch served the Center City population, until it closed in 1989.