Item No: pdcf00339
Title: Nicetown-Tioga Branch
Additional Title: Nicetown Branch interior, ca. 1920s-30s
Historic Street Address:
1715 Hunting Park Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Nicetown Branch opened in 1897, in the converted Pfund's Hall at 4015 Germantown Avenue. In 1917, the branch was relocated to a new building at 1715 Hunting Park Avenue, becoming the 20th Free Library branch funded by Andrew Carnegie. This ca. 1920s-30s interior view features the staff area behind the spacious circulation desk.
The branch relocated again in 1958, to a converted Linton's Restaurant, when it was renamed the Nicetown-Tioga Branch (and subsequently remodeled in 1961).
The Nicetown-Tioga Branch serves the communities of Nicetown and Tioga, situated close to the Erie station of the Broad Street Subway.