Item No: pdcf00348
Title: Nicetown-Tioga Branch
Additional Title: Interior view the the Nicetown-Tioga Branch, 1962
Historic Street Address:
3720 North Broad Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Nicetown Branch opened in 1897, in the converted Pfund's Hall at 4015 Germantown Avenue. In 1917, the branch was relocated to a new Andrew Carnegie-funded building at 1715 Hunting Park Avenue.
The branch relocated once more in 1958, to a converted Linton's Restaurant at 3720 North Broad Street, at which time it was renamed the Nicetown-Tioga Branch. In 1961, it was extensively remodeled and modernized, as seen in this 1962 overhead interior view of the circulation desk area.
The Nicetown-Tioga Branch serves the communities of Nicetown and Tioga, situated close to the Erie station of the Broad Street Subway.