Item No: pdcf00044
Title: Bushrod Branch
Additional Title: Portrait of Dr. Bushrod Washington James, founding patron of the Bushrod Branch
Historic Street Address:
6304 Castor Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Bushrod Branch opened in1950. It was the first newly-constructed branch in the Free Library system since the completion of the Central Library in 1927. It was named for Philadelphia eye surgeon and humanitarian Dr. Bushrod Washington James, whose will established the Bushrod Library near Logan Square in 1903, the endowment of which was transferred to the Free Library in 1948.
This is a photograph of a portrait of Dr. James, which hangs in the Bushrod Room, a room devoted to children's programming (in accordance with Dr. James's bequest). The portrait was painted in 1832 by Germantown-born artist Robert Street.
The Bushrod Branch serves the communities of Oxford Circle, Castor Gardens, Upper Northwood, Summerdale, and the Lower Northeast.