Item No: pdcf00374
Title: Oak Lane Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Oak Lane Branch, 1911
Historic Street Address:
6614 North 12th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Oak Lane Branch was built with the combined efforts of the Ladies Review Club of Oak Lane, the Library Association, and funding from Andrew Carnegie--it was the twelfth of 25 Philadlephia libraries built using the Carnegie grant, and it opened on December 7, 1911.
This 1911 interior view shows the main room and circulation desk, with a view through the archway of the children's room, which doubled as the lecture room. The basement was originally designed with a large classroom, a kitchen,two toilets, storage, a boiler room, and a coal bin.
The Oak Lane Branch serves the community of Oak Lane, east of Broad Street at the city's northern border.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer