Item No: pdcf00478
Title: Charles Santore/Southwark Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Chilrdren's Room in the Southwark Branch, 1912
Historic Street Address:
1108 South 5th Street
Print and Picture Collection
This is a 1912 interior view of the Children's Room in the Southwark Branch, which was the 13th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch. It opened on Nov. 8, 1912, at the NW corner of 5th & Ellsworth Streets. This space was located underneath the mezzanine.
In 1963, the Southwark Branch reopened in a new building at 7th & Carpenter Streets. In 2004, it was renamed, in honor of Charles Santore, a long-time South Philadelphia leader.
The Southwark Branch, located near the Italian Market, serves the South Philadelphia communities of Bella Vista, Queen Village, and Hawthorne.