Item No: pdcf00479
Title: Charles Santore/Southwark Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Southwark Branch, 1941
Historic Street Address:
1108 South 5th Street
Print and Picture Collection
This is a 1941 exterior view of the Southwark Branch, which was the 13th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch, opened on Nov. 8, 1912. Little of its outdoor appearance is changed from the earlier years, except for the removal of four large trees along the front curb. This photograph was taken as part of the W.P.A.'s Museum Extension Project.
In 1963, the Southwark Branch reopened in a new building at 7th & Carpenter Streets. In 2004, it was renamed, in honor of Charles Santore, a long-time South Philadelphia leader.
The Southwark Branch, located near the Italian Market, serves the South Philadelphia communities of Bella Vista, Queen Village, and Hawthorne.
United States. Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania - Photographer