Item No: pdcf00481
Title: Charles Santore/Southwark Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Southwark Branch, 1963
Historic Street Address:
1108 South 5th Street
Print and Picture Collection
This is a 1963 interior view of the Southwark Branch, which was the 13th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch, opened on Nov. 8, 1912. This photograph was taken shortly before the closing of the branch at this location. (The lack of upkeep reflects the upcoming move to a new location.) The building is presently owned by the Greater Philadelphia Overseas Chinese Association, and houses a bilingual school and senior citizen center.
In 1963, the Southwark Branch reopened in a new building at 7th & Carpenter Streets. In 2004, it was renamed, in honor of Charles Santore, a long-time South Philadelphia leader.
The Southwark Branch, located near the Italian Market, serves the South Philadelphia communities of Bella Vista, Queen Village, and Hawthorne.