Item No: pdcf00483
Title: Charles Santore/Southwark Branch
Additional Title: Architect's floor plan for the new Southwark Branch, ca. 1960
Historic Street Address:
932 South 7th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The original Southwark Branch opened in 1912, and was the 13th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch. Located at 5th & Ellswoth Streets, on a smaller lot than a typical Carnegie library, it eventually became inadequate for the needs of the community.
This image is a photographic copy of the architect's floor plan for a new building for the Southwark Branch, which reopened at 7th & Carpenter Streets on November 1, 1963. In 2004, it was renamed, in honor of Charles Santore, a long-time South Philadelphia leader.
The Southwark Branch, located near the Italian Market, serves the South Philadelphia communities of Bella Vista, Queen Village, and Hawthorne.
Eshbach, Pullinger, Stevens & Bruder - Architect