Item No: pdcf00485
Title: Charles Santore/Southwark Branch
Additional Title: Audience at the dedication for the new Southwark Branch, 1963
Historic Street Address:
932 South 7th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The original Southwark Branch opened in 1912, and was the 13th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch. Located at 5th & Ellswoth Streets, on a smaller lot than a typical Carnegie library, it eventually became inadequate for the needs of the community.
On Nov. 1, 1963, the Southwark Branch reopened in this new building, at 7th & Carpenter Streets. Pictured here is the audience at the dedication ceremony. In 2004, the branch was renamed in honor of Charles Santore, a long-time South Philadelphia leader.
The Southwark Branch, located near the Italian Market, serves the South Philadelphia communities of Bella Vista, Queen Village, and Hawthorne.
Dufor Studios - Photographer