Advanced
Charles Santore/Southwark Branch

Item Info

Item No: pdcf00486
Title: Charles Santore/Southwark Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the children's room in the Southwark Branch, 1966
Historic Street Address: 932 South 7th Street
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

The original Southwark Branch opened in 1912, and was the 13th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch. Located at 5th & Ellswoth Streets, on a smaller lot than a typical Carnegie library, it eventually became inadequate for the needs of the community.

In 1963, the Southwark Branch reopened in this new building, at 7th & Carpenter Streets. This is a 1966 interior view of the children's room. In 2004, the branch was renamed in honor of Charles Santore, a long-time South Philadelphia leader.

The Southwark Branch, located near the Italian Market, serves the South Philadelphia communities of Bella Vista, Queen Village, and Hawthorne.


Creation Year: 1966
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.937044
Geocode Longitude:-75.155274

Creator Name: Lawrence S. Williams, Inc. - Photographer