Item No: pdcf00519
Title: Walnut Street West/West Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the West Philadelphia Branch, ca. 1901
Historic Street Address:
4105-09 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1896, the West Philadelphia Branch of Philadelphia Public Library, located at 40th and Ludlow Streets, became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. In May of 1901, the branch moved into the Hamilton School Building, pictured here, at 4105-09 Chestnut Street.
In 1906, the branch moved into its permanent location, at 40th & Walnut Streets. Sometime in the 1970s, it was renamed the Walnut Street West Branch.
Located near the University of Pennsylvania, the library serves the West Philadelphia communities of University City and Spruce Hill.