Item No: pdcf00520
Title: Walnut Street West/West Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the West Philadelphia Branch, ca. 1901
Historic Street Address:
4105-09 Chestnut Street
Print and Picture Collection
In 1896, the West Philadelphia Branch of Philadelphia Public Library, located at 40th and Ludlow Streets, became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. In May of 1901, the branch moved into the Hamilton School Building, at 4105-09 Chestnut Street. This ca. 1901 interior view highlights the circulation desk area in that building.
In 1906, the branch moved into its permanent location, at 40th & Walnut Streets. In more recent years, it was renamed the Walnut Street West Branch.
Located near the University of Pennsylvania, the library serves the West Philadelphia communities of University City and Spruce Hill.